Final exam season – where stress levels are high and chances of foregoing anything remotely healthy are higher. Exams are right around the corner, so here are a few tips on staying healthy during the worst time of the semester:
- Always pack snacks — When going to the library, the worst thing you can do is show up empty handed. Packing apples, bananas, homemade trail mix (recipes to come), and pre-made meals will help you stay there longer and focus on studying, not your growling belly.
- Water!! — It’s safe to say that caffeine consumption is a must during finals. Unfortunately, coffee and tea are diuretics, so make sure you’re drinking water between the cups of joe in order to avoid dehydration. A good rule: drink at least one glass of water for every cup of coffee or tea. Dehydration is bad news and can leave you with an unwanted headache, or worse.
- Exercise — Whether it be in the morning to kick start your day or in the afternoon as a study break, exercising is a great way to relieve the stress of finals, keep your energy up, and get your blood pumping. Bonus tip: take those notes to the treadmill and listen to your favorite study playlist. Try and get up and walk around at least once an hour to give your body and mind a break!
- Sleeeeeeep — Your body will thank you if you can clock in at least 7 hours of Zzzz’s during this stressful time. Your hormones will be out of whack if you are running on minimal sleep, which can cause even more stress, unhealthy cravings, and even weight gain.
- Sprinkle rewards throughout the week — It’s always nice to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Plan meals, movies, or treats to look forward to at the end of a long day of studying! My rewards will be dark chocolate, GF mac + cheese, Halo Top ice cream, and netflix binges of The Office. Spreading out these treats will be motivation enough for me to eat healthy all day, get my studying done, and fit my workout in!
- Unwind — carve out 10 minutes in the morning and evening to do an activity that helps you relax. Maybe it’s yoga, meditation, a walk, chat with friends, or coloring books, pick something you know you enjoy.
It will be winter break before we know it!
“You can’t pour from an empty cup, take care of yourself first.”