Being healthy is easy when you develop simple and effective habits that promote success. With the holiday season coming up, it’s easy to turn treating yourself into a full-on indulgent month or two. In an attempt to try and prevent that from happening, keep these guidelines in mind. Treating yourself is so much more fulfilling when you know you’ve earned it! 🙂
These are my favorite healthy habits that keep me on track:
- Fill your grocery cart with fruits and veggies. This leaves very little room for the bad stuff 🙂
- Prep your vegetables soon after you grocery shop. Wash, cut and store your fruits and vegetables so they are quick and ready options to grab when you are hungry or ready to make a meal! There’s nothing worse than throwing out bad produce because you didn’t eat it in time.
- Plan out your dinners based on your cravings. This helps to ensure that you will be satisfied and you can look forward to the meal when it comes!
- Use healthy swaps in your favorite recipes. Have a taste for Italian food? Swap those noodles for zucchini noodles or eggplant. Swap store bought meatballs for ground chicken meatballs — Check out my recipe Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Look for a pasta sauce that is low in sugar (under 5g per serving).
- Count your whole fruit and vegetable servings, not calories. When you shift your focus to achieving a high intake of whole fruits and vegetables, you’ll feel more satisfied and happier with your diet. When you focus on restricting calories and bad foods, you’ll often feel grumpy and sad (for real). As you develop the habit of consistently eating fruits and vegetables, you’ll notice that your diet leaves very little room for the bad stuff.
- Get your steps in! Find creative ways to increase your movement. Walk more, stand more, dance more! Getting up and moving is great for stress relief and heart health 🙂
- Stay hydrated! Keep a water bottle with you at all times. Remember to drink an extra cup if you’ve had caffeine that day because it is a diuretic and can leave you awake (!) but dehydrated.
- Just breathe. Feeling stressed? Breathe it out, however you prefer. Maybe it’s sitting through a guided meditation. Maybe it’s by organizing your week. Maybe it’s by going for a walk or run. Or maybe, you just need to talk it out. Either way, releasing stress is one of the best ways to improve your health and it’s definitely worth the effort.
When you choose to surround yourself with a healthy environment, only good things will come.
“Love your body and teach your mind to respect it.”