With the weather finally heating up, and my schedule being busy as always, I find myself munching on light + summery foods, which my belly definitely thanks me for. Summer is a great time to experiment with all of the wonderful, nutrient-packed fruits and veggies that it has to offer. On my plate lately: corn on the cob, kale, watermelon, apples, grapes and cherries. I’ve been experimenting a lot with kale, from finding the perfect way to add it to smoothies to sweet or savory salads. I’ve tried it raw, cooked, baked, and everything in between. It’s such a unique vegetable because it has a thick and flavorful leaf, and that flavor can be underutilized if it is not used correctly.
I’m going to share with you two savory variations of a ~cooked~ salad that I have concocted and enjoyed.
Kale + Friends Salad
- 2 1/2 large handfuls of Kale — shredded (left overs from my smoothie endeavors)
- ~ 2 T olive oil – enough to lightly cover the bottom of the pan, and drizzled on top of the leaves and veggies
- 1/4 onion sliced
- cooked corn (sliced off of the cob) or 1 package of baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 T. Dale’s Original Seasoning
- A dash or two of McCormick’s Steak Seasoning or salt and pepper to taste
Sautée the onion in canola oil for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add in kale and the corn or mushrooms. Cook until the shredded leaves have softened, then lower heat. Add spices and mix well, enjoy! This recipe makes enough for two small/regular lunch sized salads!
“Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” -Spiritual Gangster