Here are a few tips for my fellow sweets lovers who are looking for a way to combat those sweet demons that like to call your name:
- Plan your sweetest meal around your cravings (i.e. If you crave sweets the most at night, save your sweet treat for then)
- don’t let your cravings control you — plan around them so that you’re ready for when they strike! Especially when it’s that time of the month… ugh.
- If you’re craving ice cream, have a smoothie or try one of those smoothie bowls that are so popular now! You can create a smoothie that is similar to your favorite flavor of ice cream. Use greek yogurt and whole fruit as your base, then add almond or peanut butter, cocoa powder or spinach to jazz it up and increase the nutritional value! (Just keep the calorie count in mind)
- Banana and peanut butter (freeze it or eat it room temp)
- This is one of my most favorite snacks! It’s practically guilt free.. especially if you use PB2 or natural peanut butter that does not have any sugar added. You could slice up the banana and place some PB in the middle and freeze it like little sandwich bites! Add some dark chocolate if you really want to treat yoself 🙂
- Greek yogurt with your choice of topping — berries, granola, banana, all of the above!
- Nuts and dark chocolate — grab a handful to satisfy that craving.. Just make sure it’s a handful and not a half-of-the-bag full 🙂
- Cut back on refined sugars to lessen the cravings. The less added sugar you consume, the less you crave it! Have you ever noticed that during holiday season or a celebration you find yourself craving sweets more often? Your brain can totally get addicted to the sweet stuff, so be careful not to go overboard!
- Decadent oatmeal or banana bread — use your sweet cravings as a challenge to make a healthy version of your favorite treat! Incorporating fruits is a great way to add sweetness to anything, without the added sugar! If you discover a delicious recipe, feel free to share it with me.. I’d love to hear about it!
Take home message: you should never feel like you need to deprive yourself of what you love. The best thing you can do is replace the junk food with something healthy and nutritious that can be just as tasty! Remember that moderation is key and to keep an eye on the calorie count. If you keep your good intentions in mind, I think you’ll find it’s much easier than you think.
“If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl