I love Sundays. A day dedicated to some much needed R&R and endless time to cook until my heart is content. Yesterday I cooked one of my favorite recipes, Cauliflower Pizza, and tried a new recipe for gluten free Banana Bread. Both turned out delicious so I would love to share the recipes with you!
My Mom’s Cauliflower Pizza Recipe:
- 1 large head of cauliflower -shredded (use a cheese grater)
- 2 wholes eggs and 2 egg whites (I used 3 whole eggs and 1 egg white because there was a lot of cauliflower)
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tsp. oregano or Italian seasoning
- Shredded Parmesan to taste (about 2 1/2 T)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Squeeze out all excess water from the cauliflower. (This helps the cauliflower to stick together)
- Mix all of these contents in a bowl. Cover a large pan with parchment or foil. Spread the mix on the pan and flatten it out like a crust. Make sure there are no holes or gaps in the crust.
- Bake the crust for 25 minutes or until golden brown
- Add pizza sauce, mozzarella, and other toppings to the pizza and return to the oven for 8-10 minutes. We cooked our toppings on the stove top before we placed them on the pizza, so it was only in the oven for about 5 minutes (until the cheese was melted.) The toppings we chose were mushrooms, onions, hot Italian sausage and roasted red peppers.
I love this recipe because it satisfies my craving for pizza without the guilt. Bonus: the recipe is naturally gluten free!
The Gluten Free Banana Bread recipe that I used was from Pinterest. I altered it a little bit, and I was very satisfied with the turn out!
Gluten Free 5 Ingredient Banana Bread:
- 3 cups of mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup of honey-roasted peanut butter (from Giant Eagle Market District)
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Mix
- A handful of Special Dark Chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, then transfer mixture into 9 x 13 pan or lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
I had been craving sweets lately, and I thought banana bread would be the perfect treat! I like the idea of incorporating naturally sweet fruit into a dessert, because you’re getting the health benefits of the fruit and you don’t have to add as much sugar to the recipe. Adding dark chocolate chips was a must because chocolate is good for the soul.
I hope everyone enjoyed the warm weekend and is continuing to build their healthy lifestyle – one step at a time!
This week’s challenge:
- Cut out all sugary drinks
- Find a workout buddy or try a new workout
- Dedicate some time to reflect on those resolutions – we don’t want to forget about them!
“Take time to do what makes your soul happy.”